Sunday, March 14, 2010

1000 years is not forever

So I'm officially stateside . . .

And it feels like there's been no time lapse. . .

But at the same time I'm very aware of the two and-a-half months that I spent at home. That felt exactly like two and-a-half months.

And although I'm sure as time passes I'll continually unveil new understandings and appreciations of what I've gained from my time away from here, I'd like to keep record of those things that immediately come to mind - those things I miss already and look forward to when next I find myself there.

Here goes (in no particular order):
- the variety of fruit, so natural and fresh it makes what we call 'organic' taste like plastic
- the cultural respect for education
- being called 'aunty' by my students
- calling women 'aunty' and 'ma' because that's what you do to show respect for those older than you
- having enough time to read
- the beach
- plantain chips
- bartering at the market
- gawking at beautiful men
- evenings on the balcony with my father

. . .

God Bless the adaptability of the human spirit.

1 comment:

  1. i understand that feeling...even with all the craziness, i can't wait to go back! glad to have you home!

    ReplyDelete